Interview for ERASMUS Experience in Cluj-Napoca, Romania

Why have you decided to go to Cluj-Napoca, Romania?
I had obtained a scholarship to do internships abroad for 4 months with the Erasmus Placement project. After sending my CV to several European companies (sites in Ireland, England and Denmark), and not being successful, my University proposed me to go to Cluj-Napoca, where there were free places to do internships on a local television station, the NCN. I decided to go to Romania, even if it did not correspond to the goals I would have liked to achieve, because I did not want to miss the chance to go and live in another country.
How long is the scholarship? How much money have you received as aid?
The practice provided by Erasmus Placement lasted 4 months. The scholarship provided a total of 2400.00 euros for the entire stay and for each student (around 600.00 euros per month).

What is the student environment like in Cluj-Napoca?
I stayed in Cluj for a period (beginning of June until the end of September) during which the university activity was stopped (the fact that I went abroad to do internships, I foresaw in fact that I could leave at any time of the year, not having to do no exam). Sometimes, before the universities closed for the summer holiday, I went to the journalism faculty in the city, where I met young people who were very prepared and willing. Speaking with them I have had the opportunity to understand that the theory is accompanied by a good deal of practice (practices in newspapers, radio, local television) that is always helpful.


Would you recommend Cluj-Napoca to other students?
Yes, I would recommend it. In the city there are 21 university faculties, ranging from journalism to medicine (and there are many students from all over Europe who come to study and become doctors or dentists.) It is said that doctors are very prepared and available in the practices that they develop in the hospital of the city). The fact that there are many foreign students helps the city become more interesting and stimulating.

How is the country's food?
I have found myself comfortable with traditional Romanian food! You eat a lot of meat, specifically, pork (they cook it in a thousand ways!). You find many vegetables, also in local markets. The traditional dish is "mamaliga cu branza si smantana”. That is polenta with a local cheese accompanied by a white sauce. Well, saying that does not seem like it anymore but I assure you it is a very good dish. Famous are the traditional "sarmale", which is rice wrapped with minced meat in cabbage leaves. I liked these too. I also had the opportunity to try the typical sweet, whose name I do not remember; basically they are prunes "bistrita" (a type of plum) sometimes in a paste of potatoes. Not to mention the drinks! Mmm!

How did you find accommodation?
I first contacted the faculty direct, which in turn has put me in touch with a Cluj student. It was she who took charge of finding me and booking me a hostel where I stayed the first 3 days I was in Cluj, during which I visited some apartments that allowed a rental of 4 months for 3 students.

How was the cost of the rent, and the costs in general?
I would say that in the normative is very honest. In my case you had to pay 450,00 euros (150 for 3 people) per month, but the rent included everything, also the Internet connection.

How is the language? Have you attended any course at the university?
The students are very good with the languages. English was spoken, also many understood Italian. But I preferred to always express myself in English. Romanian is very different from Italian (it is a Neo-Latin language). I did not attend any course and I get angry, but I know that there are schools that organize Romanian courses for foreigners, course that allows you to obtain a certificate in a reasonable time.

What is the most economical way to get to Cluj-Napoca from your city?
I arrived in Cluj from Rome. The cheapest way is the plane: the low-cost airline Wizzair has very cheap rates and the possibility of getting to Cluj from other Italian airports, apart from Fiumicino.

What places do you recommend to party in Cluj-Napoca?
If you like to dance, the most glamorous disco was (and I think it still is) the Obsession... Great place! Or, you can go to After Eight... And there I think they do a lot of university parties. Also the Bamboo should not be bad: I have never been, but I remember that, in my first week in Cluj, there went a DJ almost as famous as Bob Sinclair! Another disco is the Cluj Midi: There is also not uncommon to find good DJs.
If you like to listen to music while having dinner, I recommend the Irish & Music Pub, a very cute and cozy place where they often organize live concerts by local and non-local bands.
And can you tell us your favorite places to eat in Cluj-Napoca?
I like the kebab (it's not the typical dish of Cluj, but I think many students like it) of Ali Baba, in Piata Uniri.
For typical cuisine I recommend Casa Ardeleana and Irish & Music Pub. If you have a pizza lunch, I recommend Pizzeria Montana or Central Napoli.
And cultural sites to see?
Cluj is very multicultural. Each corner hides something! I had the opportunity to visit some cities in northern Romania: Bistrita, Turda (where there is a salt lake where I bathed), Sibiu, city of European culture 2007, Sighisoara, the hometown of Count Dracula, Brasov, Bran (where Vlad's castle is, but Peles Castle is much nicer), Suceava (where there are many monasteries painted on the outside, Unesco World Heritage Site), Targu Mures (where I went camping for the annual festival of Felsziget-Peninsula, younger brother of the well-known Sziget that is made every year in Budapest, where I have been able to listen, among others, artists such as Nine Inch Nails and Prodigy). Very cool sites, somewhat similar to some towns of Switzerland or Germany.


Do you have some advice for the future students of Cluj

Go without any doubt. Keep in touch with the university, both with your city of studies and with that of Cluj. Take advantage of the city and live 100%. Obviously, I believe that every city is a world, so you have to do what you would not do in your city, do not think twice and do it abroad. Know that the Romanian law is quite strict, then avoid getting into trouble (whoever intends to smoke, I suggest to find out what can happen if you get caught with marijuana). I, although being a girl, have found myself well and I have never had any problems, thank heaven. To be conscientious is the most I can tell you!
Thank you. 

Macavei Madalina-Alexandra
Media Communication, MA II Year

Comentarii