Different places, different faces, same questions - Part 2: Around Europe - Norway, United Kingdom, France, Hungary

The second part of the interview series features János, a talented musician and dancer, student at the Gheorghe Dima Music Academy. He spent a challenging and culturally diverse time in four different countries with an Erasmus Mundus scholarship. Below you’ll find his story:

How did you find out about this opportunity and what determined you to apply for it?

I wanted to study in Western Europe in a dance-related field. So, I found out that there is an Erasmus Mundus scholarship which offerts the opportunity study in four different countries: . I considered this is very interesting chance and despite of the different approaches in these countries and universities, I imagined that I will gain knowledge and and I will get a broader overview in the field of dance studies.

Talking about cultural differences and the so-called “cultural shock”, what were the things that surprised you the most upon your arrival?

It was a good, positive surprise for me that everything that I was told before my arrival, turned to be true. The bus came at the right time, people were waiting for me at the right place, etc. This was something truly positive, although new for me, since in my country the things are totally different. Also, the approach of the teachers towards the students was surprising for me.

Could you briefly present your experience in terms of courses, teachers, the exchange student network, the entertainment facilities?

Everything that happened during my Erasmus Mundus period, i can say, was very positive. The universities have done their best for us, students, in order to give us a good teaching environment. The courses were tailored to our needs, teachers were really open for anything if they observed that you want to learn from them.

Overally, how would you compare the student life in foreign countries with the student life in Cluj?

In Cluj the student life is very good. I mean the parties and this kind of stuff. Regarding the teaching and universities, I see that they are under the European average. I think that there is no motivation for students to learn, no motivation is coming from the teachers. The positive thing is, that if we compare the prices with the Western Europen prices, Cluj-Napoca is a cheap city. Also tuition fees are cheap.

Were there any negative parts of your experiences?

I dont remember any negative experience.

Would you recommend this exchange program to other students?

Of course, I already did. J

Thanks for the interview!

Written by Aletta Kenyeres


Comentarii